Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Won Ton Chicken Salad

Oh, how I love this salad! I would say it is one of my top three favorite salads.
I cannot guarantee that husbands and/or kids will love it as much. Lets face it, what man wants to eat salad for dinner? Not mine. Although, he very kindly thanks me and acts like he loves it. Not that he doesn't like it, he would just prefer a more, shall I say, manly meal. My kids like this becasue they get to eat big chunks of rotisserie chicken dipped in BBQ and they love the oranges too.
Having said that, I think it is absolutly perfect for lunch with the girls. Anyone want to come over for lunch soon? Because I want to make it again soon!
Won Ton Chicken Salad
Dressing:
1 cup oil
6 TBS. sugar
2 to 2 1/2 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS sesame seed
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
5 shots Tobasco sauce
Salad:
1 rotisserie chicken or 3 shredded chicken breasts, cooked and cooled
1 small head iceburg lettuce
1 small bunch romaine lettuce
5 green onions, sliced thin
4 stalks celery, cut diagnally
2 cans mandarin oranges
1 package fried won ton strips
Dressing: Mix all ingredients together in blender except sesame seeds. Add sesame seeds and put in refrigerator to chill.
Salad: Combine sald ingredients and toss with dressing immediately before serving. I prefer to serve the dressing on the side and allow each person to dress their own. This way if there are leftovers you can actually save them and not have soggy salad.
I find the wontons in the produce section of the grocery store, it is usually near the fresh salsa and cut veggie trays. I just slice them in thin strips with a knife or kitchen shears and fry them for a second in hot oil. They brown almost instantly. Remove from oil and place on paper towels.